The pioneering of the Church of Christ in Angola was started by David C. Hanselman in 1852. Occasional meetings were held for several years, conducted by D.C. Hanselman, James Hadsel, Samuel Wannamaker, Randall Faurot, Burdette B. Goodale, Thomas Moffet, A.N. Bartlett, and Myron Gleanson. Joshua Goodrich, having held a successful meeting at Metz, was invited and held evangelistic meetings at Angola beginning January 31, 1866, in a small church building occupied alternately by the Presbyterians and the Methodists. Twenty-one were baptized and nine were added by letter and statement. This meeting was openly opposed by the Presbyterian clergyman and the infidels of the town. Angola was a center of spiritualism and religious infidelity, having 1500 residents with but one church building and less than 30 professed Christians. After the Goodrich meeting, a temporary Church organization was set up at which time the members of the Church at the Sowle Settlement, comprising of the Fast and Ogden families came into fellowship here. So far as is known, the first officers were Christian Fast and W.P. Ogden, Elders, and E.N. Woodford, Deacon. The real activities of the Church in Angola began with the call of John Aylsworth as minister in October 1869, when the church was reorganized and adefinite buildingprogram was planned. The first Church building was erected in 1870, at 500 West Maumee St. and was later remodeled and improved by annexes to the east and the north. John Aylsworth closed his work in the spring of 1872 and during his ministry the membership was increased from 30 to over 700. He was succeeded by his younger brother, William P. Aylsworth, who was instrumental in paying off the Church debt in full in the year 1879. During the ministry of William P. Aylsworth, a Church bell was installed in which his name was cast. Due to a devastating fire, it was necessary for the members to meet at the old Opera House on the circle while a new building was erected at 500 West Maumee St. The Church was completed in 1910 under the pastorate of Vernon Stauffer. During the late 1920’s, a number of member families were instrumental in the start up of the ministries of what is now known as Lake James Christian Assembly. As the Church bell was no longer being used, it was donated by the Church to the Lake James Christian Assembly where it now is in use during the Assembly sessions. Through the years, there has been a long association between Tri State / Trine University and Angola Christian Church. Many past students and staff have called Angola Christian Church their church home. For many years graduation exercises and other important events were held at the Church.
Due to changing times and different needs, in July, 2008, under the ministry of Jim Hulbert, the Church moved into the facilities at 1297 N. 200 West, while the facilities at 500 W. Maumee became part of Trine University and their expanding music program. This exciting change will allow us as a Church to reach out further into the community to win souls and foster spiritual growth.
Ephesians 4:12-13 …to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ. (NIV) “Our doors as well as our hearts are open. If you have been thinking, searching, and praying for a place to belong, may we say, ‘Welcome”